Sunday, September 26, 2010

September 26th (Saturday ride)

I very rarely get to go out on a “just for fun” ride, but today I actually did! Dave and Esther were coming over for supper and a hockey game tonight, so I got Corrie to drop me off at Dave’s first and then Dave and I rode my regular route through to Juniper.

We left from Dave’s place in Dufferin, so we took my old route through the city (basically) ‘till the entrance into Peterson’s Creek just below Berwick. From there, we rode some new (to me) trails along the top of the west side of the valley ‘till we met up with my usual route down Billy Minor Trail South. It was awesome to ride a few new trails, even if it was quick and short. The best part was that we came up on a bit of a tough, steep climb and I managed to muscle it up and over while Dave had to push! Wow, I never thought I’d see the day where I made a climb that Dave didn’t… Winking smile Granted, I didn’t see what happened, nor did we say anything, so maybe he had a chain malfunction or something… On our way over the top and heading over to the Tom Moore trail, I heard a loud cracking noise and looked over to see the top half of a dead tree crash down into the valley. The winds were crazy right then, so it was no surprise. But made me realize we had to be pretty alert to falling trees to be sure!

We made the ride down and into the creek, and I managed to make it through the creek and over the first root, but again I didn’t make the dumb climb up the east bank!!! Steaming mad Dave had to dab over the root, but he did make the climb, so that was cool. I decided to attempt the long, straight and steep climb and both Dave and I made it roughly about the same distance. He said he has seen guys make this climb before, so it is doable! It was cool to see Dave make it the same distance that I usually do… Granted, if he did this climb every day he’d probably make it before I could…

At the top, we actually met up with Heidi and Matt from church as they were hiking with their dog. We talked for a bit, then kept going. Dave was in front, and I think the rock wall caught him a bit off guard as he didn’t make it (but I know he’d clear this thing in a heartbeat with his 2nd or maybe 3rd try). As such, I stopped behind him and so didn’t even try it. As we were getting back on and riding, another tree came crashing down behind us! Well, a ways behind us, but still. I was starting to get a bit nervous for sure!

We rode up and took both of the gulley trails down. Dave liked the first trail, and right after that we had to stop to clear a smaller tree that had fallen across. We continued on and across Frolek’s land. After we had hiked up to the trail that takes us around to the pipeline section at Rose Hill, Dave made a comment about the little hike-a-bike section being fun going down. I told him I’d never even tried it (it’s a freakin’ cliff, Dave!) so of course, he turns around, drops his saddle, and off he goes over and down!!! Crazy! Ashamedly, I did not try it… Sad smile I seriously do not know if I have the skill for that… Uff da! But now, I have to do it before the year is out. I wonder if there is a section somewhere I could practice first to build my confidence before attempting something like that?

The pipeline section was fun, met a female biker as she was coming the other way. The final hill I made into the sand pocket, but that was it. Dave made it about the same distance as well, before he spun out and lost all momentum. Again, a bit confirming for me to know that my toughest two climbs indeed are tough if the climbing machine struggled on them! Granted, he seemed to be a bit off on this ride, so I’m not sure if maybe it was just a bad day for him or what.

Anyways, good ride, and it was cool to finally ride with Dave on these trails. He says he’d like to do it again someday, only with more time so he can take me up to some of the Sticks and Bones and Upper PC trails which would be pretty sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment