Friday, September 24, 2010

September 24th (Afternoon)

So the huge, greasy Costco burger and extremely unhealthy fries with a coke didn’t seem to affect me too much… At least I don’t think it did… Not yet anyways! Winking smile Still, not a good idea to do THAT more than once a month or so, hah! Open-mouthed smile

The ride was pretty good. Very overcast, and quite windy. The wind was really only a factor riding on Copperhead from work, and on the Juniper main trails. thankfully. Everywhere else I was facing in more of an easterly direction and the wind was mainly coming from the south.

Going down into Peterson’s Creek, I again had to tweak the brakes a bit. These brakes are adjusted better if I use the Allan key adjustment from the inside of the calliper (the cable adjustment does very little). Which means I have to take my pack off, dig around for my Allan key set and then adjust it. Every time I do this on the trail, I start dreaming and wishing for some Avid BB7’sWinking smile

I did make the section through the creek and up and over the first root, but I actually got too much speed heading to the climb up the east bank and bounced over the rocks and roots too fast and ended up taking the completely wrong line… Steaming mad I attempted the straight and steep climb out of the valley, though (instead of the bypass trail) and made it pretty far. About as far as my current record distance, if not a foot or two farther. So that was cool! With some more strength and conditioning for climbs like this, I should be able to pull this off someday! At the top, I did manage to clear the rock wall again, although this time I hit my right pedal pretty hard. I can’t seem to mentally get this figured out. I know what I’m supposed to do, but when the time comes I can’t get over the fact that everything is telling me that what I know I should do will actually work! I’m not a physics major by any means, but the whole section just seems so improbable when I’m approaching it… And yet, I have managed to make it over 4 times now!

I took both the gulley trails down, which were really good. The first trail was fast and it is getting to be so much fun. The second trail wasn’t as much fun, but I did make it without dabbing at all. At the bottom, my thighs were burning pretty bad! It is crazy how going down these trails is working completely different leg muscles than I’ve worked on for the entire summer… Smile with tongue out

Going through Juniper wasn’t too bad. I wasn’t able to get a lot of good speed due to the winds in my face, but I still managed a decent little jump at the trailhead to the look out trail, and sprinted it again up to the top (that is so much fun!).

I hope to ride these trails home again tomorrow with Dave, so hopefully the weather cooperates!

No comments:

Post a Comment