Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I found it: My next bike, the Scott Scale 29er

Yep, I’ve been thinking a lot about the next summer or two of commuting and wondering if I’ll be riding my entry level Cannondale F8 for years, with upgrades, or if I will be upgrading to something that will last me much longer. On one hand, I’m doing this for exercise, so part of me wonders why I feel the need to upgrade anything to make my rides easier? On the other hand, a nice, light and stiff hardtail with higher end components and a better suspension could really do wonders for this ride…
So, I’ve been sort of half-heartedly looking around at the different bikes out there around the $1500 mark. I wasn’t convinced that a full suspension was what I wanted, so I had a discussion with the guy at Spoke ‘N Motion. His suggestion was that a good fork was necessary for the trails I ride, but full suspension not so much. He did, however, push me into thinking about 29er's. Up ‘till now, I’ve seen the 29” wheel segment a “fad”, or maybe a bandwagon that people feel compelled to jump on to be “cool”, and therefore I’ve figured “No way, Jose!” Sarcastic smile However, his reasoning was that a good 29er hardtail would be just as good on the trails for me as a 26” full suspension. He said the downhills might not be as smooth or fast as a full suspension, but the gains I would receive on the flats, corners, climbs and technical sections would far out weigh any descending down sides. He also said that for my height, a 29” wheel set would be right up my ally.
So, in thinking about this, I started looking around and I have come across the bike I “need”: A Scott Scale 29!



For $1650 MSRP, this bike has a solid frame, fork, wheelset and hydraulic disc brake system. The drivetrain is a decent mix of XT and Deore, easily upgradable if those are ever not sufficient (I would love to have those on my bike now!). The 185mm rotor on the front means I’m already set up and ready to go. The only thing I would probably switch out, with my recent findings, is the riser bar to a flat bar with barends. Other than that, it is one sweet looking ride! Check out this recent review: http://www.feedthehabit.com/mountain-biking/2010-scott-scale-29er-quick-review-interbike-2009/
So, I think I have decided. I will only upgrade or add to my F8 as things break… Other than that, the pennies are going into my proverbial piggy bank in hopes that I can land one of these for next summer. Maybe I can find a decent end of season sale this fall?

Edit: July 27th, 2010:
Ok, so the Scott Scale 29 Carbon Fiber edition has been made and will soon be sold to us peasants!!!
This one in the image is the RC version that is like $6500 USD, but they are making a Pro version that should run closer to $2500 USD instead.
So now here is the question, can I save upwards of $3000 and justify spending it on a bike??? Please say YES! Words fail to describe... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment