Thursday, June 17, 2010

June 17th (Morning)

June 17th (Morning)

Happy birthday, Dad!

 

My parents are in Vancouver this week, and it’s my Dad’s birthday (I really have no idea how old he is now). We will see them this weekend again, so that will be cool.

 

Due to me being sick, along with the kids, I took a day off yesterday and stayed home. Therefore, no biking either. Actually, because of my floor hockey on Monday night, I could hardly walk yesterday! I suppose had I been thinking straight, I would’ve gone out on Tuesday and done some exercise to try and avoid the muscle soreness and stiffness that resulted. It was quite painful to do anything.

 

However, this morning I jumped on the bike and I didn’t feel too bad. I could feel some stiff and sore muscles, but overall pretty good considering that I was still walking pretty bad. Obviously, this week I have learned that there are some very different muscle groups used for different activities! :) As I walk around the office, I’m still really stiff and sore but better than yesterday. However, while riding it was OK.

 

I  made all the hills at the pipeline section of Rose Hill, so that was really cool! The one hill I’ve had trouble with I stayed in the middle gear and I stayed planted on the saddle right up to the last two or three feet and crested it with no loss of traction, even in the loose sandy section. Going down into Peterson’s creek was also a success as I made it around the sandy switchback with my foot out of the pedal, but not touching the ground. With the few days of drier weather, the sandy sections are for sure getting deeper and looser, so to do this it is good for sure. However, going up the other side I messed up right away at the second switchback (which I’ve made every time so far), but then made the rest of that section up ‘till the nasty switchbacks, which I walked. I then tried again and bailed early as I was still all over the trail. I pushed a bit further, then tried again, trying to focus on relaxing my arms and fixing my attention further ahead than the front tire. I know I should do this, but I so often find myself falling into bad habits on this trail. As I concentrated on this, I made a really good stretch (which I’ve only done once before) and managed to get right up into the deep sandy section. I didn’t spin out, but just stopped out of a lack of energy! :) I should’ve kept going to see how far I could’ve gone, but my mind gave out way too quickly. That being said, I was very impressed with the new tire as it didn’t spin out pretty much the entire way up the hill. As the trails get drier, this tire’s performance seems to get better and better, so that’s encouraging. Again, I think I would be even happier with a wider version, but at least I can say now that I didn’t waste my money!

 

The last stretch on paved streets was really good. Especially as I was half way up Springhill I got a call from Corrie saying that I was a new uncle again! My brother, Rob, and his wife had their first baby. After a very long labour (over 24 hours I think in the end), the doctors had to perform a section, but this morning they are now proud parents of their first baby, a boy! So, here’s a BIG congratulations out to them from me, and I can’t wait to see them and their newest addition. So, that was excellent news as we were worrying about them for sure throughout the whole ordeal. Plus, I then was able to think about that and not the riding, and before I knew it, I was parking the bike in my office... Hah!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment