Friday, June 18, 2010

June 17th (Afternoon) and June 18th (Morning)

June 17th (Afternoon)

A pretty good ride home, actually. I guess two days off in the middle of the week will help, eh? I did pretty well going down into Peterson’s Creek. The brakes are feeling really good (still have that sticky spot on the front, but other than that they’re running pretty nicely). I made the first nasty switchback and the section from there to the second switchback with my foot out. I didn’t make the next switchback, but the rest of the way was good. Going up the other side I made a really good distance up to the sandy switchback again, and then even made a few extra feet up the next section (more than usual). I did make the final section, so I was at 3 stops again, but at the very top, just as I crested the hill, I lost focus for a second and jerked the front wheel to the right. Luckily there is a little wood post barrier there, or I may have been sliding over the edge! So, with that mess up, I had 4 stops... Arggg...

 

The pipeline section at Rosehill is getting so much better (largely in part to the work Brian did last weekend, I owe him!), and I’m enjoying it now again. I got some good speeds down, and can see myself making the 2nd to last peak again very soon (although I missed it today). I even attempted the last peak, rather than taking the bypass trail. I kind of think I actually might be able to do this hill sometime soon, so I’ll have to keep working on it! The side of the trail that Brian cleared is not too bad, except for the clumps where the weeds were make some pretty nasty bumps. But, bend those elbows and hope that RST cheapo fork soaks up the rest and let her fly! At least that was my motto today... I took the main trail into Juniper as I was trying to get home quickly and met up with Phil at the end (he came out from the pipeline trail just as I came out on the main trail). It worked, as I made it home in 43.5 minutes (normally, if I take the pipeline trail to Juniper and the bypass at Rose Hill, I’m around 47-48 minutes).

 

June 18th (Morning)

Well, I wasn’t looking forward to my ride this morning. I still enjoy it, but it is a lot of work, and I think some days I just get tired and want to rest... :) Anyways, the trails were pretty good and fast. Going through Frolek’s land these last couple of times I’m trying to focus on cornering faster with my outside foot down with pressure to keep traction as I lean the bike. This is something I really need to learn to ride better and faster, as I lose so much momentum through this section as I come down into these corners, hit the brakes, and then have to climb back up the other side. The faster I can make these corners, the less power I need to climb the other side! Seems like a good skill to master... :)

 

Going down into Peterson’s Creek was fun again, of course! If only the other side was this much fun on the way down... :(  I did make the sandy switchback, but with a foot out still. I think I’ve found the best line, though, so I shouldn’t be much longer and I will be making it with both feet still clipped in I’m sure. Going up was pretty good too. I made it up to the first nasty switchback without stopping (something I’ve not done now for about a week or so, as I kept losing control and balance on the first tricky section). I then walked about 1/4 of the hill, and then biked a good stretch up until I lost traction in the sandy section. And I mean I hit the deep stuff and my front tire stopped dead and my back tire spun like my old BMX on training wheels over a puddle... There was no fighting through this section this morning! I have been trying to really concentrate on relaxing my arms and looking further up the trail and I think it’s working, as my front tire isn’t jerking so violently from side to side like it has been doing the last few rides. There is still a section that I struggle with, as the flat part of the trail is very narrow and requires the straightest of lines. The cost of failure on the left is no big deal. On the right, however, means a long, nasty slide unless I can grab hold of a tree or something... :( And, of course, I can’t seem to NOT think about that side as I climb, so guess where I go??? Anyways, I will beat that section someday, right???

 

The final stretch on the paved streets was pretty good. I felt very tired and saddle sore today, and at the last stretch up Hugh Allan my mind was screaming at my body to give up. Thankfully, though, my body didn’t listen... :) But, hey, it’s Friday! Which means another two days off again. Yay!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment