Wednesday, August 10, 2011

August Update

Well, I’ve been riding again fairly consistently. I’m feeling better, and starting to get back into the swing of things. I’ve been enjoying a bit more exploring lately, finding some different routes, and even had a fun ride to work down from Lac Le Juene Provincial Park! We camped up there for a weekend, arriving on a Thursday evening, so I rode in on Friday. It only took me about 45 minutes, and it was quite an enjoyable ride. Although it would’ve been much more fun on my dream road bike, the Trek Madone 3 Series! Smile There is still the one hill coming out of the East side of Peterson’s Creek that I cannot make. I’m about 15 feet away from making it, but I just run completely out of gas, traction and will power… Some day, maybe? However, there is one shorter hill near Rose Hill Road that I only made it up about 3 times last year. This year, I’ve made it all BUT 3 times! It is cool to see the progress for sure!

I found myself exploring a bit on a ride into work just last week. Not sure what came over me, but I decided to look for some more trails as I was leaving Juniper, which caused me to ride to the top of Coldwater! That was a decent climb to start me off in the morning! Only, I got to the top, quickly realized that the trails were all going the wrong way (back east above Juniper, rather than west towards work), so I decided to abort and rode all the way back down again… And then, when I got to the end of the Peterson’s Creek trails, I decided to continue on with my exploring and followed the Tom Moore trail up rather than cutting over to Summit drive. I ended up coming out up on Pinnacles street, which is the highest point in Sahali!

The next day I paid for the extra climbing, even that ride home. But I recovered soon enough, and then just this week, Monday, I decided to again explore some more and rode up to the top of Pinnacles/Chancellor to where the Peterson’s Creek trails actually start. This was a good little climb, that I will probably do more just to get a bit more of a work out on my rides home (although not too often, yet, as Tuesday morning I felt the effects!). On this ride, I attempted to find another trail across Peterson’s Creek. However, I ended up on two dead end trails. I did find the beginning of Peterson’s Creek, though, which also marked the end of the line for my trails though. It was a stagnant, mosquito-breeding, slime filled pond, which was directed down about 50 feet of a 10 foot wide canal and then down the canyon. The other side showed no signs of trails whatsoever that I could see.

But, I have at least been finding some new trails that I can add to my route to shake things up. Next up? Find more trails above the east side of Peterson’s Creek, and maybe end up coming down into Juniper from above! Smile

I have been taking some pictures lately, so I will post them here for you to enjoy.

Biking_179

The end of the line – And the beginning of Peterson’s Creek park. Wanna go for a swim? Smile

 

Biking_180

The canal leading down from the pond into Peterson’s Creek canyon.

 

Biking_181

This isn’t a great shot, as it didn’t capture the depth of the canyon as I was hoping. But this section is deep, rocky and very steep. I wouldn’t want to slide off the trail up here, not sure if I’d stop ‘till I landed in the creek at the bottom!!!

 

Biking_182

This is a neat new spot that I have found just off of my trail on the East side of the Peterson’s Creek canyon. Very nice to sit here for a few minutes in the morning, soaking in the view and spending some much needed quiet time with my bible!

 

Biking_183

I also tried a panoramic shot of the view… It turned out not too bad! On the left is where I come out of Peterson’s Creek and up to Summit. On the right is where I come from Juniper. In the middle is downtown Kamloops, Batchelor, and Westside.

No comments:

Post a Comment