Wednesday, November 24, 2010

November 24th (Morning)

No ride yesterday (-17°, and with the wind chill it felt like -29°). So, once I saw that I waited at home and got a ride with Corrie to work after she took Taryn to school.

A couple of people have brought it to my attention that it’s not just being out in the cold, or even being out on a bike in the cold, but its the being out in the cold on a bike alone in the middle of nowhere that is risky. I guess I can see their point, really. I mean, if I were to get injured or knocked out or something out on Frolek’s land, by the time someone came along to find me, I’d be frozen stiff… Therefore, I have decided to make -15° my personal cut-off point. Colder than that, I ride the bus or get a ride. Warmer than that, I ride the bike.

So, this morning was -17° and Corrie had scrounged together some change last night so I jumped on the #16 bus out of Juniper. That was fine, and all, until we got to TRU and I noticed that the Pineview bus (my connection) had already left… Oops!

But, no worries, I felt good and warm and decided that I would just ride the streets to work. That way if I fell and got hurt, surely someone would see me laying on the ground!!! Winking smile

So, I had a short, tough ride this morning after all which is good. It is completely uphill the entire way, and I did walk a lot to try and keep the blood flowing into my toes and fingers. Actually, I even tried the plastic baggy over my toes (inside my shoes) this morning as that is supposed to be a miracle warming trick… NOT! My toes (and fingers) were still quite frozen by the end. However, being that this little route has so much climbing, my neck and torso were actually a bit too warm if you can imagine that.

This afternoon it is supposed to get down to -13° and even as good as -7° by Friday, so for the rest of the week I am good to go! Next week I’ll be in Vegas for Autodesk University, and the few weeks after is typically the coldest week in Kamloops (in my short lived experience here to this point), so we’ll have to wait and see if I have much more riding left in 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment