Thursday, November 25, 2010

November 24th (Evening)

I took my old, original biking route home tonight again as I did on Monday. It was snowing a lot, so I’m not sure how tomorrow’s ride will go. Tonight was still fun, though. The snow makes for a hard ride to be sure, and a bit hairy going down into Peterson’s Creek, but the quietness is almost surreal. The soft crunch of snow under my tires is the loudest noise aside from my breathing. It really is quite beautiful. If only I could figure out how to keep my hands from freezing I’d be set!

Oh, and I’m not sure if you recall, but there was a dirt path between Springhill and Roger’s Way that ran alongside the old Merritt highway. I complained about it many times when it was wet and muddy as this was the muddiest part of my entire ride. Anyways, the city has now paved this path and it is a great little path! So smooth… Winking smile And with a fresh layer of snow it makes for a neat little section.

The toughest part of the ride is the streets as they are getting narrower now and I have to hang out right at the edge, by the snow bank created by the snow plows. As such, I often will end up hitting the bank and causing me to slide and fishtail, not fun! Plus, cars are driving by now even closer and with less control, not a good combination if you ask me!

The temperature was -13° and it felt OK. My gear is good, and other than toes and fingers it feels great. Almost too warm sometimes (I had to unzip the fleece today). Also, I used sandwich baggies over my toes, wore two pairs of socks, and then put the toe warmers on top of the baggies (instead of inside them). As these are air activated, I figured this made more sense. And I think it worked, as I didn’t have any issue with my feet being cold ‘till about 15 minutes left in my ride. So I guess there’s tricks to everything here!

No comments:

Post a Comment