Wednesday, November 10, 2010

November 10th (Morning)

This morning I finally felt a bit tired and sore. After two days of riding both to and from work feeling really good, I was expecting it. However, that being said, I still managed a decent time and didn’t feel that bad. If anything, I found myself finishing climbs and hills without actually realizing it, as my mind seemed to be elsewhere thinking about who knows what! It’s always nice to get to the top of a climb and think “Cool, I’m at the top and I don’t even remember getting here!” Maybe I had my first “asleep at the wheel” experience on a bike… Winking smile

It was warmer this morning (4°), so I opted for my biking+driving glove setup and no toe warmers. I could’ve still used the toe warmers for sure, though! The ride was great, and I managed another 0 stop ride, making both the dip/corner section of single-track as well as the technical climb up and out of Peterson’s Creek. I let out a few pounds of pressure from the tires this morning as well as doing a quick twist of the barrel to hopefully alleviate the derailleur woes I’ve been having this week. I found it very interesting how I could actually notice just a couple of PSI different in the tires. The derailleur was OK, still rough but I think I have it set now a bit better than yesterday. Hopefully it won’t slip anymore on climbs (it didn’t this morning, but I don’t have the same “all-out” type climbs like I do going home).

This morning, as I was between the two sand pockets climbing up the Tom Moore trail, I suddenly realized how amazingly quiet and peaceful it was. I stopped and just stood at the trail edge for about 2 minutes, looking up and down Peterson’s Creek valley. I don’t do this enough, just stop and soak it in. I did notice a couple of trails going further south into the valley, though. Why didn’t I spend more time exploring these trails while I had the warmth and light of summer? Now, unless I go out on a Saturday (which won’t happen, as I have work booked from now ‘till Christmas for my Saturdays), I won’t get the opportunity to check out these potential routes ‘till next spring! Oh well, now I have something to look forward to when the weather starts to warm up again.

Oh, and now guess what? I managed to break the clip that locks my computer into place this morning while trying to take it off… The computer still snaps into place, but I doubt it will stay there during the rocky and bumpy trails and I’m sure I’ll lose it if I don’t tape it on or something. Annoying! Well, it is an old, cheap computer and I’ve considered getting a new one. I think I’ll just grab a decent, low-priced one from MEC if I do, like the Filzer dZ4L or Filzer dZ4L-C (the latter has the cadence option). For an extra $8, is the cadence option needed? Probably more annoying to have to route the wire anyways… Winking smile I think this is the computer Rob has, and it seemed pretty decent. A lot of data displayed at once, though, is it easy enough to read?  Rob, if you do read this, what are your thoughts on this comptuer? I’ll also probably check out eBay…

1 comment:

  1. It's a good computer, but you're right the wire is annoying. There is a wireless version of it that isn't too much more though. Don't need the cadence option in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete