Wednesday, November 10, 2010

November 10th (Afternoon)

Another good ride! After a week of hard and tired rides, this week has been great! Maybe that one day off on Friday was much needed rest. So far, this morning I felt a bit tired but not bad, but other than that it’s been really good. Open-mouthed smile

The temperature was a cool 6° or so, and of course dark again! That won’t change ‘till spring. But, physically I felt pretty good. I did adjust the light position on my helmet slightly, so it’s sort of in the middle of pointing only a few feet in front of the wheel. I get a decent look ahead and then only have 2 feet or so in front of “blindness”. So I think that’s a decent compromise. I still wasn’t 100% comfortable, but getting better for sure.

The way down into Peterson’s Creek was good, I slid out near the edge a bit at then end/corner of the 2nd sand pocket, which made my heart jump a bit there for sure! I made the creek crossing well, and managed up and over the root without dabbing or stopping. I then also had a successful climb up and over the east bank, so that was sweet to get both of those in a row!

Again, I decided to take the straight, steep climb up and out of the valley. Maybe once I’m more comfortable with the light I will again take the bypass. But for now, I didn’t feel like risking the narrow trail at this point. The climb wasn’t that great, though, as I didn’t even make it to my average point, but a bit of a “below average” effort instead. And that is a tough hill to walk in the dark! At the top, however, I did manage some much better speeds on the trail just before the rock “wall” meaning that I was able to clear the wall (although I dabbed at the very top more out of nervousness than necessity). After that, the trail was great. I had some decent speeds all the way to the gulley trail, and I also managed some really good speeds down that trail to my single-track below. I figure that night riding should help my technical skills. If I can make the technical sections in the dark, then I should be ready to go when the light comes back!

At Rose Hill, I was able to make the final climb again. Funny how easy this climb suddenly seems. Well, it’s not “easy”, but so much more so than before. So much of my successes and failures on these trails have to do with my mental state. Once I know that I can do something, I am able to do it repeatedly. However, if I start failing at the same point, it becomes harder and harder to make it again. Dumb head games!!! Winking smile

Again, I took the main trail through to Juniper, with a short detour along the look out trail (although there’s no looking out over anything now in the dark to be sure). As I came around the final corner, my heart jumped a bit as suddenly 3 pairs of eyes were staring at me! However, once I directed the light at them, I realized they were only dear. That being said, they still didn’t move ‘till I said “Hello”! Hah! Guess they weren’t quite sure what I was at first…

Tomorrow is Remembrance Day, which I have off from work. So, no riding then! I will be staying home with the kids trying to give Mom a much deserved day off the best that I can. Friday I’m back at work, however, so I have another ride left yet this week! Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment