Wednesday, October 27, 2010

October 26th (Afternoon)

I had a late day at work today (well, only 1/2 an hour later than usual really), and it was quite overcast, so I ended up having to use my light today on the way home for the first time. I had it blinking on Summit drive (just to make myself more visible to drivers), but then about 1/2 way down the trails I turned it on full-time.

The trails were quite busy today, not sure why? It was sunnier in the afternoon, and 10° on my way home (warmer than yesterday). Whatever the reason, I met up with a biker/commuter that I see on the Peterson Creek trails often (on a Specialized full suspension 29’er, with a radio… hah!). Today was the second time I’ve seen him sitting hunched over the handlebars like he’s dying having just finished the boardwalk section. Come, guy, suck it up! Winking smile Just after the boardwalk, I came across a couple walking their dog who had one of those big white vet collars over his head and couldn’t hear his owners… Kind of humorous! Smile Finally, around the next bend I met up with another biker coming up the trail. I stopped to get out of his way and he stopped and chatted for a while about the trails, rides and what not. Nice guy, apparently he’s come across 3 bears recently. Obviously I breathe too loud, or my bike is too noisy, or I’m just plain not observant of my surroundings (most likely the last one), because everyone is talking about seeing bears but not me! Not that I’m complaining… Smile with tongue out

I didn’t make it over the root coming out of the creek on account that a branch from a nearby bush had been broken and was laying across the trail. I tried going over it, but it bounced up and caught in my spokes… Oops! I did, however, make the climb out and over the east bank again finally! Sweet! I then attempted the long, straight and steep climb out of the valley and made it a pretty good distance (not record breaking yet though). I tried the rock wall at the top too slowly and had to try and pedal over the top and lost traction, having to dab… Oops! I haven’t had problems with this one for a while, hopefully that won’t continue.

At the top, I decided to take the road/double-track down to Frolek’s lower road just for a change of pace. Also, this was my fastest time yet last week, and being late I figured I’d try it again. It was fun, I met up with two hikers/joggers on my way down, but then going across the lower road was fast and fun.

At the Rose Hill pipeline section, once again I made the last climb! Open-mouthed smile SWEET!!! Twice in a row now. Most likely the best reason for this is that I have now made it once, I know I can do it and now it’s up to me to simply keep my line straight and I can beat the hill. At first, I didn’t even think I was going to make it up to the sand pocket, as I started off pretty poorly. In the pocket, I spun out pretty bad, but managed to keep momentum going and then powered up the rest of the climb. That was pretty awesome! Through Juniper, I again took the look out trail and blasted through it like I’ve been able to do lately with this new tire.

Great ride, and a tie for a record time (43.5min) and average speed. My chain was VERY noisy, though, so I will have to be sure to oil it up before tomorrow morning’s ride. I guess the humidity and moisture in the air this week is pretty high, so I wonder if I need a different wax/oil for the colder rides?

No comments:

Post a Comment