Monday, September 27, 2010

September 27th (Afternoon)

Some crazy winds and some crazy warmth… 27° today for the ride home! And absolutely brutal winds. Thankfully the winds were mostly from a south direction, meaning they only affected me on a couple of sections of the ride rather than going against me the whole way home.

I didn’t feel top notch today, but not horrible. I tried some sprinting up Hugh Allan, but petered out pretty quick. The trails down into Peterson’s Creek were really good, the brakes were tuned in nicely finally! Still can’t wait for those pads to get here though. At the bottom, I made it through the creek, but had some trouble getting over the root and suddenly found myself bouncing off a rock and leaning way too far to the left (creek side). Suddenly, the bike went down somehow (no idea what on earth I did) and before I knew it I was standing in the creek leaning against a  fallen tree that was laying across the banks, with my bike laying sideways on the bank! Other than a bloody knee, there was no damage and I shook my head in bewilderment and picked up the bike and headed up to where a hiker was standing watching me…Embarrassed smile The hiker looked at me and asked if I had just tried to ride across the fallen tree! Hah! Yeah, not quite although that would’ve been a better story as to why I wiped out for sure!

Feeling a sense of needing to make up for such a blunder, I pushed up the straight, steep climb out of the valley and made it about 10 feet further than I have done yet! It was awesome!!! At the top, I even cleared the rock wall with “ease”. I put “ease” in quotation marks because right now it’s more just luck of the draw it seems…

The rest of the ride was good, par for the course in most areas. I’m really enjoying the gulley trail and getting good speeds down it. I think I saw another gulley trail today that maybe I will attempt tomorrow? Why not have a multitude of options for how to get home, eh? Unless it kills me… Winking smile

No comments:

Post a Comment