Tuesday, September 21, 2010

September 21st (Afternoon)

I actually wore my jacket for an afternoon ride! I’m not sure when I did that last, probably last April… Uff da! However, I was able to shed it by Peterson’s Creek. Smile with tongue out

I took it somewhat easy today. Not too much sprinting or cranking out the big gears except in a few spots. The ride down into Peterson’s Creek was annoying as the brakes were VERY loud and squealing the whole way down. Twice I stopped to try and tweak them a bit, but it didn’t do much. It is mainly the rear brakes, where the pads are pretty much shot. I did order two new pairs of pads off of eBay this weekend, so I do hope they get here real soon! Not sure how much longer these pads will last… eBay had a pretty good deal. Two pairs with shipping for $35. Considering I pay $25 for one pair here, I thought that was a decent deal. And they are higher quality pads. I should get some longer life out of these ones, and they will apparently be somewhat quieter and even have more bite. Anything to help these brakes is a good investment in my opinion! If I do have an extra couple hundred bucks between now and next spring, I am definitely throwing it at new brakes…

Physically I felt pretty good today, but technically it was not a great effort. Once again, I spun out on the first root coming up out of Peterson’s Creek and had to dab. Then I couldn’t make the short steep climb after that (third time not so lucky I guess). I decided to attempt the bypass trail today, and even that I failed at, not even making it within 10 feet of my usual stopping point! At the top of Peterson’s Creek, I came up and over the rock wall and attempted to back pedal quickly to make the last part of the wall without smashing my pedal (like I did the two times I have made this section). In doing so, however, I lost momentum and had to put my foot down to make the rest… Steaming mad Frustrating day to be sure!

Instead of riding all the way up to the first gulley trail, I instead found another trail that connected me from Frolek’s upper road to my single-track below. It was a fun little piece of winding single-track, and had my brakes been in better working order (and quieter), I would’ve probably enjoyed it more. Hey, at least I ventured out off my beaten path!

Taryn’s ballet was today, and after which Corrie had a bunch of stuff to do. So I had decided to meet them down in Valleyview and therefore took Frolek’s road down the hill (after the gate, where I normally follow the trails to Rose hill’s pipeline section). I’d never taken this road down, so it was good to see where it went. Not a great ride, as it is still a road after all… But not bad. After that, I hooked up with Rose Hill road and took it town into Valleyview, getting a top speed of 68 km/h. It’s been a while since I’ve had this bike going at those speeds, I had forgotten what a rush that was!

No comments:

Post a Comment