Tuesday, August 31, 2010

August 31st (Morning)

A good ride again this morning, but I think I felt a bit more tired than yesterday. However, I still made a decent time in the end of 60 minutes.

It was chilly again (9°) when I left, and a nasty wind. The good thing is the wind was mainly going south-to-north, and as my trails are pre-dominantly east-to-west I was OK for the most part. Only a few sections did I have to head into the wind. Apparently this wind is going to bring rains with it this afternoon, so I may be in for a wet ride home.

I wore a jacket and gloves this morning. By the gate at Frolek’s land, I ditched the jacket entirely, but it was nice to ride with gloves again.

The single track sections were fun, but I just cannot seem to make the down-and-up part (90° bend at the top around some rocks). I’m not sure what the key is here. I need speed so I don’t have to pedal (pedals will hit the rocks), but with the sharp corner, I can’t have too much speed or I go straight into the sidewall of the trail… Coming down it is not an issue, as gravity does the work of forward momentum and I just have to worry about picking a line.

Coming down into Peterson’s Creek was really good, and through the creek was excellent. I had enough speed to make the first section up the other side, but then went too wide and had to bail at the top. Otherwise, I could’ve made that portion. I did, however, make both of the sandy sections heading up the Tom Moore trail! Twice now, yesterday morning and this morning, my heart rate has gone over max (my max should be around 188bpm according to what I’ve read). Both times, it has been on the boardwalk section. I knew this was a tough portion of the trail, steep, long, narrow… But I have never maxed out my heart rate yet, so I suppose I am a bit out of shape after all!

Well, I’d better get cleaned up here and start my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment