Friday, June 4, 2010

June 3rd (Afternoon) and June 4th (Morning)

June 3rd (Afternoon)

·         Fluids Intake

o   Morning: 1 bottle of Gatorade, 1 bottle of water, 1 cup of coffee

o   Afternoon: 1 bottle of water, 1 cup of coffee

·         Food Intake

o   Morning: 2 pieces of multi grain toast with peanut butter, 2 Dad’s cookies

o   Afternoon: 1 cheese sandwich, 1 toast English muffin with peanut butter, 1 orange

 

Today’s ride was not too bad. Going down into Peterson’s Creek was tougher with the torrential downpours we had last night. The gulley’s were deeper and wider (they were getting somewhat better before yesterday). I had a few “tense” moments of going where I didn’t intend to, but I was able to save it both times thankfully. I didn’t make the two usual switchbacks, and rode the section between them again, but with a foot down. Going up the other side was pretty good. I made it further than normal on each stretch. I even realized, as I stopped at the sandy switchback, that I may have been able to keep going? Again, another case of the mind giving out before the body I think, especially because of habit in this case. I kind of doubt I’d make it through the switchback with the sand as deep as it is, but it would be interesting to try. I made the last section again without stopping, meaning that my total stops is still down at 3.

 

About 1/2 way across Frolek’s land, I started gaining on another rider. He was faster on the technical downhill sections for sure, but I kept gaining on him on the flats and hills ever so slightly. At the end of Frolek’s land, I caught up with him as he had to stop to go through the gate. This rider’s name is Phil, and he works at KMS tools (a stone’s throw down the hill from ACS). He’s been commuting for years, but only rides home (he gets a ride to work in the mornings). Apparently he has been able to ride about 10 months out of the year for the past few years, so that’s really cool to know. I would love to ride as long as possible. He lives near the east end of Valleyview, but rides across the trails through Juniper. So, we rode together into Juniper. He went very fast down the ripped up hills at the pipeline section before Rose Hill. Sure, he had a very nice, full suspension bike. But, he also had the skill (or maybe just the guts) needed to blast down the side where I go fairly slow now due to deep sand, gulleys and rocks. I did catch up with him again, however, at the bypass around the final hill and then we rode together through to Juniper on the pipeline trails (he didn’t lose me this time!) It was a fun ride, and it is neat to meet a few others now riding the same trails for the same reason. Taryn goes to school with a boy who’s Dad also commutes along the same trails to downtown every day, so maybe I’ll meet him sometime soon as well. I think I should somehow organize a get together with all those commuting on these trails one weekend and we could work on trail maintenance, trying to fix up the sections ripped up by the rain or the bulldozer! Maybe...

 

June 4th (Morning)

·         Fluids Intake

o   Evening Before: 1 bottle of Gatorade, 1 glass of juice

o   Morning Of: Nothing

·         Food Intake

o   Evening Before: Meatballs, potatoes, peas and salad, 1 piece of bread with margarine, 2 pumpkin muffins with cream cheese icing

o   Morning Of: Nothing

 

Well, it’s Friday! My last morning ride ‘till next week. It was chilly this morning (about 8° when I left, 10° when I got to work) and overcast. But, no rain so that’s good as I was wearing my new, WHITE, biking shirt Corrie bought me yesterday. :)

 

Anyways, the ride out of Juniper was another successful one, so I’m very happy that I can do this now consistently. The two steeps were good, the down-and-up switchback was excellent, and the two trail dips along with the 2x6 bridge were all completed easily. Now that the brush and branches are cleared away from the second trail dip, I can just concentrate on riding through it. My next challenge on this trail is making the transition from the road to the switchback right beside the dump (about 1/2 way between the trail head and Valleyview). This is a tricky portion as it goes straight up (well, almost) about 3-1/2 feet high. To make it, I need enough speed as pedaling would just get in the way and hit the ground as I go up. But, I have to slow down quite a bit just to make it, as it branches off at about an 80° angle from the road. So, a combination of the perfect speed, pedalling at the perfect moments, and moving me weight just right will mean a successful transition. As of now, I’ve simply made the front tire up and over and then had to put my foot down and push the bike the rest of the way. Once I can clear that, I have no more challenges on this trail and might as well start riding all the way to work... :)

 

The stretch through Kenna Cartwright was pretty good. I decided to take the Kinnikinick trail again today. It’s hard to say what’s worse, higher pain but over faster, or lower pain that lasts longer??? This trail is higher pain for sure. I still walked two steep sections up the first portion before the intersection with the Doc Findlay trail. They are extremely steep, but I think I will be able to make them with better skill and once I’m more fit yet. There is one section that’s pretty steep that I’ve made both times so I’m proud about that for sure.

 

After the intersection, there are two more long steep climbs. Near the end of the second climb, a man walking his dog stopped and waited for me, which was nice and all. Except they stopped on my usual trail, which forced me up a section of trail I haven’t tried yet and I didn’t make it (pretty steep, and I was completely exhausted at this point). After that, however, the trail is an awesome little double-track winding through the woods. No more climbing until the very end, and at that point it is one more very steep climb that I haven’t made yet and, of course, didn’t make again today. However, I did notice a trail sooner that cut up the hill at a better angle, so next time I’ll try and climb that way instead.

 

All in all a good ride, and the best time through Kenna Cartwright yet so that was really cool. A big benefit of the Kinnikinick trail is that I’m out of the saddle more, meaning that I’m not as saddle-sore by the end of the ride as when I spin all the way up Reservoir trail. And the legs recover quicker, so this actually may make that trail worth it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment