Tuesday, April 13, 2010

April 12th (Aft) and April 13th (Morning)

April 12th (Aft)
The afternoon ride home was pretty good in all. The ride to Peterson's creek is about 15-20 minutes on pavement with a couple decent little uphills in between. The steepest one being on Monarch (which connects Springhill to Gleneagles). I pushed it on this hill and made it up in the middle ring (2:1 combo). Going down into Peterson's creek wasn't as smooth as I would've liked it to be. I'm not sure if it was dustier/rockier than usual, or if I was just not comfortable. I only made the first two switchbacks, and then had to place my bike around the middle three, and then made the last two. This trail does see a lot of bikers going down and it is getting very torn up, so that might be making things that much looser. Irregardless, I did not ride as good as I think I could have.

However, going up the other side was a great improvement. I only walked maybe a quarter of the way. I did stop 6 times to catch my breath, but most of the time I jumped back on and kept riding again. I even made it half way around the deep, sandy switchback that I haven't even attempted yet. The ride from there to Rose Hill was pretty good, actually. I felt stronger and faster, and even powered up the second to last peak/valley combo just before Rose Hill (normally I walk the last two hills there) for the first time!

April 13th (Morning)
The morning ride was OK, but I was pushing a medium headwind the whole way to Lansdowne which added a minute to that stretch. The #7 bus broke down, so I took the #4 up to the Aberdeen Mall (actually got there about 5 minutes sooner than the #7 does anyways). I rode from the Aberdeen Mall and it was again, OK. I had to fight the same headwind hear as well, and it started raining. However I did make the entire ride in the middle ring (2:1 combo at the smallest, NO GRANNY GEAR for the first ride yet). This route added about 5-1/2 minutes to my ride. Not a bad idea if I'm looking to increase my ride more and more. Not a great route, as Hillside has no sidewalk going up on the right hand side, which means unless I can push a very fast pace, I have to ride up on the left hand side so I don't get run over... :)

All in all, both rides were pretty good. Again, I'm seeing little progress each day, so that is very encouraging. I keep feeling like I can be doing better, so I think that is good motivation to keep pushing more each day. My butt is not really sore as much as it just hurts??? I will see, as if this doesn't get better within a few weeks I'll have to check out the saddle angle/distance, and maybe even consider a different style?

2 comments:

  1. I'll be interested in tracking your progress, sounds good so far. If we make it out there this summer I'll bring mine and see if I can do it, in the meantime I'll get riding more out here to catch up to you. Those switchbacks sound fun, pretty soon you'll be fishtailing around them like the other guys who are churning it up already...

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, there's some pretty cool trails around here that would be fun to go on if you make it out here with your bike. I was thinking last night that maybe this trail is getting torn up because of me and my panicking when I can't make the turns??? :)

    ReplyDelete