Monday, April 25, 2011

A rare week off

So I now have a car. Yes, I now have a choice to ride to work or drive. It is an odd feeling to be sure. Last year, I sold my car to buy the bike, if you remember, and as such no matter what I was riding. Bad weather? Too bad. Windy? So what. Feeling tired? Suck it up. I did get sick in the beginning and therefore ended up taking the bus and had Corrie pick me up, but that was such a pain in the butt that I had to be basically dying for me to choose that convoluted option. But now, I have a car. Oh boy, so now the test comes! Will I still ride regularly? We bought it mainly for Tuesday nights when Corrie and Taryn both have soccer at the same time, on opposite ends of town. In order to make sure they both get to both games, we forked out the $600 for a 1992 Cavalier Z24:
IMG_1780
Actually, this is not an entirely bad car! The 3.1L is punchy, it has aluminum rims, nice molding and the body is in decent shape (a bit of bubble rust on the rear fender and passenger door). Other than that, it starts well and seems to run well so for the money, it is a perfect 2nd car for us right now. Corrie has already mastered the 5 speed, so we’re laughing now!
But, back to biking, the point of this blog. We bought the car almost two weeks ago. We bought it on a Wednesday, and I still rode my bike on Thursday and Friday. But then on Monday, it was cold, wet and with Levi’s soccer that evening being my “excuse” (riding home is a tight, although doable, time frame) I drove the car. Then, on Tuesday I drove again. Actually, Tuesday will be my driving day with the soccer in the evening and it allows me to still get 2 hours of overtime in yet. But then Wednesday came, and I was now coming down with the flu. So I drove… And I was still sick on Thursday… And Friday… And before I knew it, the entire week had gone by without me so much as looking at my bike!!!
However, what this week made me realize is that I enjoy riding. Sure, the convenience of the car can’t be beat. I can get to work in 15 minutes! I can go for lunch… I can pick stuff up on my way home, whether it’s on my way or not… And, I have a “sporty” little 5 speed that is fun to drive. But then the other driver’s on the road can so quickly sour a nice, enjoyable drive. And they do so often, and multiple times within that short 15 minutes. And I don’t get to enjoy the sun, air and quiet of the trails. I yearned for the trails. I longed for the bike! And that week was too long… I’m not finally back on the bike and loving it! Had this been last year, I remember a point at which I knew if I still had a car, I would’ve quickly given up the riding and this new adventure would’ve gone the way of so many other good ideas I’ve had. But, I was forced to ride then. Now I want to ride. And it makes all the difference.
Sure, I’m going to drive this year. Every Tuesday at least, and most likely the odd Saturday as well (if I’m working the weekends). Maybe when the weather is extremely nasty. Maybe if I’m sick. But the fact is, driving will be the filler, the rides will be the norm. Not the other way around.
It’s pretty cool to know now that I have managed to solidify this habit into my life. This year, with the option of driving, it leaves me open for fun weekend rides now! Maybe even a race or two that Dave and I are actually talking about… Suddenly, this bike is starting to be more of a “toy” than a “tool”. And that’s the way it should be.

Oh, I almost forgot! I pilfered the rear derailleur off of an old Rocky Mountain bike that I bought earlier for $50. It is a newer model Shimano XT, just a step up from the used LX I put on last year which was a step or so up from the Altus that I put on after the original Acera was wrecked because I didn't know how to bunny hop... Yes, you read this right, I'm onto rear derailleur #4! And honestly? When adjusted properly, I can't tell the difference between the Altus bottom feeder and now the XT. They say a rear derailleur is often more eye candy than functional, and I would agree. It makes sense that most bikes will have a good rear derailleur, while crappy front derailleur, crank, chain, etc. It's the rear derailleur that most bikers look at and falsly consider as being a sign of whether or not the bike itself is "good". I can say now that, while I know there are advantages in the higher end models (quicker shifting, longer lasting, better functionality in poor conditions) the price for upgrading the derailleur hardly seems worth it now. Glad I hardly spent any money on my upgrades!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment