Monday, March 21, 2011

Riding is Fun… Streets are rather boring though…

Well, another week has passed and I’m still riding on the streets with no immediate end to this torture yet in sight… Winking smile Ok, it’s not that bad, but I didn’t have that great of a week last week. Partly because I’m still not quite back into shape, partly because I’m working too much, and partly because there’s just not that much challenge about them, other than trying to go faster or harder than the last time… But did I not just mention I’m not quite back into shape yet? I have managed to be very consistent with my riding so far, though, so that will come very soon I’m hoping!

Last week went pretty well over all. I felt good, had some good rides, but then Friday I tanked. The ride in the morning I felt half dead and just wanted to stop and lay down and sleep… zzzzzzzzzz… Thankfully I didn’t, as that would’ve been rather awkward not to mention quite uncomfortable. Smile with tongue out

So, with my Friday rides turning out to be rather lackluster as they were, I drove to work on Saturday instead and took a full two days off this weekend from riding. I think that was a good move, as I felt really good this morning (Monday). I also cleaned and tuned up the drivetrain, put my regular tires back on (albeit I put the front one on backwards… Oops!), and pumped them up pretty high. All of that, combined with a decent rest, made for my best time and average speed this morning than I’ve done yet, so that was cool! Hillside drive felt good, actually, like I was spinning up easily. 10km/h on average, better than my usual 7-8 there, so I was happy about that for sure.

Biking_154

I put my regular tires back on this weekend, no more studs! Boy, am I ever liking these fat boys again! They look soooo much better, and they’re not even that fat, really, 2.35 inchers…

 

Biking_155

I picked up a new saddle this weekend, too. The stock Cannondale one sucked! This one is fairly stiff, a bit wider/longer with a deeper groove down the middle.

As you can see by the picture above, I also bought a new Specialized Riva MTN saddle this weekend. First of all, am I ever glad it turned out to be called “Riva”. When I was looking at the saddle this morning to look it up on line, I thought it was called “Diva”… It had me worried… Also, I paid $40, NOT $25 as it says on Specialized’s website… Dang, I hate website pricing! Anyways, the saddle was OK for it’s first ride. Stay tuned to next week’s post to see what I think of it after a full week (oh the suspense!). I think it’s better than the sucky stock Cannondale one, but still a bit on the painful side as it is pretty stiff really. However, the reviews online are pretty high, with many saying it takes a day or two to get used to it. If I don’t like it by the end of the week, though, Bicycle Cafe can have it back! Smile

The weather was pretty nice last week, with the mornings hitting around 4° usually and with 11° highs for the most part. A lot of wind, which made for some tough rides, but in the end that means the trails are drying out and the snow is quickly receding! Granted, of course on the day I take off the studded tires, Pineview and Aberdeen are getting DUMPED on this morning… Sad smile But, it’s supposed to be 10° today, so that will quickly disappear I’m sure. Hopefully I’ll be hitting the trails again within a week or so. The clerk at Bicycle Cafe said she tried riding up above Juniper on Saturday morning and said it was brutal, hardly even walkable. So, I will try to be patient!

No comments:

Post a Comment