Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Now I’m REALLY back… I’m pretty sure…

I guess riding on Saturday gave me the bug, and I couldn’t stop thinking about riding all week. So, on Tuesday, I went but Sport Chek on my way home and picked up a couple of fenders. No, I didn’t write that wrong, I bought fenders… Those very uncool accessories that most kids would loathe if anyone dared brought them even close to their rides. But, these fenders aren’t “uncool”. No, not so! These fenders are cool! In fact, if you go to Toys R Us you can find many a bike with these types of fenders on them. Granted, those bikes are made and sold to 10 year olds who think it’s cool to ride a simulated motorbike… Anyways, enough words, here’s some pictures of these rather hideous things:

IMAG0285

IMAG0286

Yeah, they’re not the best looking but very functional! Smile

 

As mentioned in the caption above, these fenders work. Obviously, as per my last post, riding the trails is out of the question. Riding the streets is something I have avoided to this point. I’ve never ridden all the way from home to work on the streets. This means going all the way downtown (to the river level), only to have to climb all the way back up… and up… and UP! So, I haven’t done it. But, I figured I really wanted to get riding again and as far as I could tell, the weather wasn’t cooperating with me at all. So, I decided I’d finally just suck it up and ride the streets.

This morning, I was dreading the ride up Columbia street. It is a four lane road connecting Sahali with downtown. If you want to go from South Kamloops to downtown, without going on the highway, you take Columbia. It is a VERY busy street, and a very steep hill! I would have to take to the sidewalk, regardless of the fact that it is illegal, or basically get run over. But, as I was contemplating my route I remembered that Battle street also went up into Sahali, only through back streets. So, I cruised along Battle street and it was great! The climb was tough of course, but quiet. Maybe one or two cars passed me along the entire way. I then cut through some Apartment building parking lots, the Superstore parking lot and even a strip mall parking lot. At 7:20am, there is no traffic there, so it was perfect!

Oh, but did I mention it was snowing again? Crazy!!! But, the ride was good overall. Tough, and basically an hour of straight climbing. But it was so good to ride again. The ride home was good as well, other than the BRUTAL head wind! Going up the Juniper hill was very painful, especially with the head wind trying as hard as it could to throw me back down the hill! Smile

Anyways, before I sign off tonight, I thought I’d put one more picture here…

IMAG0284

When it’s too cold to wash your bike outside, you have to make do with what you have!!! I had it pictured as fitting much better than it did, but it worked!!! Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment