Friday, November 12, 2010

Time and Money well spent!

So, I just figured I’d do a bit of quick math this morning. No, this isn’t perfect. I mean, I could go through my months of spreadsheet data and actually calculate this out to the minute, but who has time for that? Basically, I’ve been wondering how much time I’ve spent riding since March.

To figure this out roughly, I will use my total kilometres ridden to date (3400km’s). My average speed going to work in the mornings typically hovers close to 15km/h while my average speed heading home is around 18km/h. So, by a quick calculation, but average speed overall should be close to 16.5km/h.

By a quick division of 3400km’s by 16.5km/h, I’m left with 206 hours.

206 hours I have spent in the saddle since March. Now, granted, that’s nothing compared to time spent sitting at my work desk, or sleeping, or whatever, but still 206 hours is a lot of time! If I was getting paid minimum wage for riding, I would’ve raked in about $1600! Hah!!! Winking smile

Speaking of money, here’s some more math while I’m on a roll here.... How about how much money my riding has saved me?

  • Cost of Bike: $700 (approx.)
  • Cost of Apparel (gloves, shoes, shorts, etc.): $360 (approx.)
  • Cost of accessories and components (light, upgrades, etc.): $321 (approx.)
  • Cost of maintenance (oil, cleaners, etc.): $60 (approx.)
  • Bus Tickets: $90 (approx.)

So, with quick and completely approximate calculations, the cost of this adventure since March totals around $1531. Wow, that’s actually a lot! Surprised smile

So what did I save by doing this (costs estimated from Cavalier numbers last year)?

  • Gas for driving (8 months): $800
  • Vehicle Insurance: $880
  • Vehicle Maintenance: $150 (approx.)

So a quick estimation of my savings would end up around $1810 meaning that I came out ahead by around $279 once all was said and done.

That doesn’t seem like a heck of a lot for all that work! Then again, I’m not including the cost of the car itself in those estimations, but I did include the cost of the bike. Take that out of the equation, and I’m ahead by closer to $1000 over the 8 months. Seeing as how the sale of the car gave me the money for the bike, I would think that would be a valid estimation. Plus, had I been in shape at the start, it would've been nice not to have spent the $90 in bus tickets… Smile with tongue out

But, then there is the physical aspect as well. This is a benefit that you can not quantify with financial gain or loss data. I have lost 35 pounds to date. I am more fit and I am able to play and round with the kids without feeling like I’m going to die! Winking smile I’m healthier, and have a stronger immune system (I haven’t been sick for months now). So, whether I saved $200 or $2000, these benefits I think make these numbers immeasurable.

Well, if I did save $280 this year I fully plan on spending at least that much on upgrading the bike and getting it ready for another season (wheelset and brakes maybe, new drivetrain). And then, of course, next year I will also hope to save up enough money to buy a nice bike, probably in the $2000 range this time I think? And I will most likely end up spending the money on another car by then too. So, really, my reasoning for this venture will have to be about more than money as that is becoming less and less of a benefit!!! Open-mouthed smile

No comments:

Post a Comment