Thursday, November 18, 2010

November 17th (Evening)

The snow was melted by the time my ride started tonight, which made for some rather wet conditions! The streets were still not iced over yet, so that was good. Still, I took it rather easy due to the possibility as well as I just didn’t want to splash up too much road grime before my ride started (tends to really cause my drivetrain to run rough).

As I came over the top of Summit Drive, I noticed a biker up ahead (red blinking light). His light was higher than normal, so I figured it was probably Phil as he has his clipped onto his backpack. Sure enough, he turned down into Peterson’s Creek trails at the Castle Towers entrance and I followed him down into the Valley. I finally caught up with him as we climbed up out the east side and we rode together ‘till the end of Frolek’s land.

I let him go in front again and he took me up just past the first gulley trail down and we took a new trail down to the single-track below. I had taken this once before with Phil, but that was in the daylight when I could see where I was actually going! Tonight was another story. With the poor lighting and a very “ambiguous” trail (lots of deadfall and grass and the trail is not well travelled so it tended to just disappear). Still, I managed to find my way down to the bottom and it was fun, so I’ll have to try this again.

At the end of Frolek’s land Phil went down into Valleyview and I continued along into Juniper. I didn’t make the final climb at Rose Hill, mainly due to a loss of traction in the sand pocket, but also because I didn’t have the energy to finish it today. I was feeling a lot more tired than usual, and my speeds were much lower than normal.

In the end, it was a decent ride but slow. I guess a few slow rides in a week aren’t necessarily a bad thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment