Thursday, July 22, 2010

Scott Scale competition?

Well, as the closest Scott bike dealer around is either Kelowna or Vancouver, I got to thinking about what bikes are sold in town and what those brands had for 29ers. Here’s my list so far, and I will have to do a lot of research to see which ones I would like the best.
Scott Scale 29er (approx $1700):
ScottScale29er_2010
I think the better looking out of the three, but maybe a bit corny with my name being Scott and everything… Smile Hard to find, though, and would probably have to drive at least 2-3 hours to even physically see the bike, let alone the time to take it for a ride and test it out sufficiently to be sure that it was a good fit for me. I am a master of convenience, so if it ain’t convenient, I most likely will go elsewhere… But I like this thing enough that I may decide it is worth it!



Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29 (approx $1800)
SpecializedStumpjumperComp29
This would definitely be my close second choice out of 29ers that I’ve seen to date. Componentry is basically the same between this and the Scale (Avid Elixers, Rock Shox Reba, maybe a bit better drive train, although it is SRAM which I’m not sure if I’m a fan or not really). The frame and geometry do still look pretty good, but what’s with the blah colour choice? I do like Specialized, though, and Spoke ‘N Motion deals them here in town, so I’d be able to test ride one for a day before I buy it which would be really good.




Trek (Gary Fisher) X-Caliber 29 (approx $1600)
TrekXcaliber29
Of course, I have to put a Trek in the mix! Being that Trek was my first ever ride in the world of mountain biking, and it was my original Trek 820 Antelope that got me hooked on this great sport! This is technically a Gary Fisher (although badged as a Trek), it has roughly the same components as the Scott Scale. It is a 30 speed!!! I didn’t even know they made 30 speeds yet… Jeepers, how hard would it be to tune THAT derailleur? Yikes! And what would I do with all those gears? I’d be wasting more time shifting than riding… Hah! I don’t mind the look, but I’m not crazy about it. Again, Spoke ‘N Motion deals with Trek here, so I’m sure they would get this in if they didn’t have it and I could test it out before buying.

I did look for Cannondale’s options (sold here by Taboo cycles, where I bought my bike, and I do tend to be loyal that way). However, they only have two options, really. The Trail SL 29'er 4 (approx. $1000) which isn’t bad, but I want my next bike to last me a while so I don’t want too much of an “entry level” bike. The next option is the Flash 29'er 3, but from what I can find online, it starts around $2500 so out of my league for sure (although it does have the Lefty fork which is kind of cool, kind of not…)
Any others I’m missing? I guess Rocky Mountain bikes are sold here, as are Kona I believe so those two brands might have some other offerings. Either way, if I can see it, ride it and buy it on a good closeout deal, I just can’t wait for it! Well, I can, seeing as how I have no money right now… Sarcastic smile

Edit: July 27th, 2010:
Rocky Mountain Vertex 29 (approx $1500 I think):

Ok here's Rocky Mountain's... A nice bike. I would like to replace the front rotor with one at least 185mm, but the fork (RS Tora) is apparently better than the RS Reba on the other three (less flexy). Good bike for the price. I'm not extremely crazy about the look (I don't like the way the top tube meets up at the seat tube below the seat stays), but a very capable bike for the price, and, again, Spoke 'N Motion deals with Rocky Mountain here in town.

2 comments:

  1. Rocky Mountain! That's my vote. Bruce's in Saskatoon deals them, so when you're up visiting the inlaws... These others look pretty great though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, and I do like buying from a CDN company for sure. I checked it out, and the Rocky Mountain Vertex 29 (http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+VERTEX_29.html?BIKE=805) is in the same price point, so I'll have to consider that one as well!

    ReplyDelete