Tuesday, July 27, 2010

July 27th (Morning)

I did get my wheel back from Taboo Cycles last night thankfully. They hadn’t completed it by 4:45 when I showed up, but one of the kids Brad has working there grabbed it and finished it while I was waiting (the same one that asked me “What for?” when I went there for a flat handlebar). He managed to get the cog off, put the spoke on and got the axle/bearings back in (which, it turns out, didn’t need to be removed for the cogs to come off). He was busy discussing body armour with some overly concerned parents while trying to true my wheel (and as such, the wheel isn’t that great… I think I could’ve done a better job myself). Finally, when he finished (and did I mention they don’t seem to have A/C in the shop, and it was like 35° outside???), he hands me the wheel and I start walking off when he was like “Oh, I forgot your rim tape!” As he ran to the back, I also noticed he had forgotten the cogs!!! Yeah, smooth work, kid! I guess good help is hard to find… :) He finally finished the job and I was able to leave after about 30 minutes of hanging around.

Anyways, the ride this morning was good. I also replaced the rear derailleur cable last night (it was actually just about shredded and pulled right through the derailleur, as when I had replaced this derailleur I was too cheap to replace the cable as well). This morning, the shifting was smooth and instant, it was great! I even took out the pulleys last night and cleaned them up so everything was turning nice and smooth. I probably could’ve put some more air pressure in the tires as the back wheel felt squirmy again. Granted, with the low air pressure I did make both the sandy sections on the Tom Moore trail! :) I’ll have to see if I can make it just as easily tomorrow with higher tire pressure…

I made all the hills at Rose Hill, and for the first part this morning I was feeling not too bad really. The climb up to the upper Frolek’s road was tough, but it does seem to be getting better. I saw the same Doe again, this time she really didn’t seem to care that I was there. She bounded up the hill about 30 feet up the trail, but then just stood there and watched me ride by on the trail below. Going down into Peterson’s creek was good, but a bit faster than I was trying to do (brakes were still not entirely burned in from the cleaning and what not this weekend).

As I rode through the creek at the bottom and started up the other side, I lost control and tried to put my foot down. However, as the bank is steep, I couldn’t find a footing and started hopping around with my bike between me, just about flipping over backwards until I managed to grab a tree and pull myself back up straight… It would’ve been funny I’m sure to watch, but even a little fall like that on the rocks in the creek could’ve caused some nasty pain… So I’m glad I made it without injury.

The rest of the ride was good. As we’re taking some new software training at work this week, I didn’t take the Peak 2 Peak trail to Pineview and instead cut through the trailer park again. It was a bit of a slower time in the end for this route (63 minutes), but I did notice that I was hurting pretty good the last 15 minutes or so and thus I probably was dragging out the ride a lot longer than I should have.

No comments:

Post a Comment