Tuesday, July 20, 2010

July 19th (Afternoon)

A “cool” 28° today! Actually, since the one week where we had some pretty warm temperatures, this summer has been very cool. Not sure when we’re going to pay for this…

Today’s ride was really good. I again took the new trails, cutting across Pineview and then up and through the trailer park and down Howe/Hugh Allan/Summit. The paved stretch is now even less of my ride, which is great. The other way, my original trails, I was 1/3 pavement, 2/3 dirt. Now, I’m probably 1/5 pavement, 4/5 dirt. That is awesome!

Going down into Peterson’s Creek was a bit better/faster today (second time down this trail). I still lost my edge in the two sandy sections. Funny how I can make it through them on the way up (with difficulty), but not down yet. I guess it must be a combination of speed and weight transfer. I again made it through the creek, but not up the other side. I finally worked my way up, climbing up the alternate trail to the top rather than the long, steep uphill. As I was making my way across Frolek’s land on the awesome single-track and came up to where I normally drop down onto the logging, nasty section, today I noticed a piece of single-track heading straight up and over. So, I took that trail only then to realize this was the trail Phil had taken me on my first ride this way! It was great, another few minutes of single-track, and I avoided the nasty logging section altogether.

The pipeline section across Rose Hill was good, although I still haven’t made it up the final hill yet (another decent effort today, though). And I took the pipeline section into Juniper as well. In fact, it almost seemed like the weeds have started to subside and retract from the trail, is this possible? Maybe they’re dying or maybe they’re just getting tired of being run over by bikes… Either way, it’s good news. The flat bar was still good, although I did notice that I use my bar ends way more with a flat bar, why would that be?

No comments:

Post a Comment