Wednesday, June 30, 2010

June 29th (Afternoon) and June 30th (Morning)

June 29th (Afternoon)
Not much of a ride today. Mom and Dad were driving through on their way to Langley, so we met at McDonald’s just off of Hugh Allan and Pacific Way, so my ride was a short 10 minutes, pretty much 100% downhill! :) I didn’t even bother with the shorts and biking shirt... Must’ve looked funny with my fancy biking shoes, jeans and a button up dress shirt flying down Hugh Allan at 70km/h! By meeting them there, I was able to put in a couple of extra hours at work and make up for some recent missed time so that was good.

June 30th (Morning)
Another good ride this morning. The sun was bright, but it felt chilly to start. About 13° when I arrived at work, so I’m not sure what the temperature was when I left.

Looking back towards Juniper at the end of Frolek's land, just before Peterson's Creek. Great weather this morning!


I felt pretty good, and again pushed harder through the Juniper stretch and made all the hills at Rose Hill! I noticed someone broke some branches out of the way on the fallen tree so I was actually able to scamper under it which saved me a minute or two from having to ride all the way around it. Frolek’s land was decent, I’m still trying to work on smooth, fast cornering and feel like I’m starting to see some advances on these corners so that’s good.

Going down into Peterson’s Creek was uneventful. The rear brake feels a bit spongy, so I’ll have to tweak them a bit this weekend if I can.  Going up the other side was a pretty poor effort. I bailed right at the beginning before even getting to the switchbacks, not sure what was going on there. But these gulleys are just giving me fits every morning, and I cannot seem to conquer them. And now, every time I slide into one, I seem to bail right away. I’m not sure if I’m nervous about losing my balance or what. But whatever it is, I seem to be going backwards and it is a bit frustrating. I wonder if I tried fixing them over a weekend or something if they’d stay fixed? Or would the amount of bikers dragging their rear wheels down must make them worse in short order. Now if the bikers would just ride down controlled without skidding we wouldn’t be in this pickle... :(

The ride up Springhill and Hugh Allan was good. My left knee really seems to start hurting right near the top of Hugh Allan every ride. I’m not sure if it’s something with my set up, or if it’s just that it’s my “bad” knee (from my soccer days at NBI). As it happens at the same point every ride, and only on the morning rides, it is probably just pain from straining it. There is a lot of climbing on my morning rides for sure, so it does make sense that it doesn’t bother me on the afternoon rides.

No comments:

Post a Comment