Friday, May 28, 2010

May 27th (Afternoon) and May 28th (Morning)

May 27th (Afternoon)
·         Fluids Intake
o   Morning: 1 bottle of Gatorade, 1 bottle of water
o   Afternoon: 2 bottles of water
·         Food Intake
o   Morning: 2 pieces of multi grain toast with butter and peanut butter, 1 banana
o   Afternoon: Roast beef with scalloped potatoes, rice and peas, 1 bag of Doritos

Today is Amberly Adema’s birthday (a friend of Taryn’s). So, the Adema’s had a party after work for her, and therefore I did not ride (well, other than the five minutes from work to the Adema’s). Instead, I went to the party and hung out with the Adema’s and the Douglas’ which was fun. Still raining out too...

May 28th (Morning)
·         Fluids Intake
o   Evening Before: 2 glasses of milk, 1 Dr. Pepper
o   Morning Of: Nothing
·         Food Intake
o   Evening Before: 4 pieces of pizza, assorted veggies with dip, 2 pieces of sesame seed toast with margarine and peanut butter
o   Morning Of: Nothing

Well, it rained all night again, but at least this morning it stopped so I was able to ride with just the moisture splashing up, and not also coming down! There is still a heavy cloud cover, with rain forecasted through 'till Sunday. All this moisture is good for sure for our lawns, but man does it make the trail riding “interesting” to say the least.

This cell phone picture really doesn't do it justice. It ain't the muddiest I've been by a long shot, but fairly muddy for trying to go to work! :) Maybe I should've taken a picture of me instead...

However, I had a great run down from Juniper. On the two sections where the trees cover the path, I stayed on the bike with just a foot down and made it around them (no trails around the trees other than what I’ve “made” up ‘till now by just riding it each day). I just about went and made the first steep, but couldn’t get my foot clipped in time, so I bailed. I couldn’t clip in for the second steep either, but I stopped and backed up and tried again and then did make it, so that was cool! The rest of the trail was really good, I made the 2x6 bridge and the 2 dips with ease it seemed, even though the down-and-up switchback foiled me again. I think because it has foiled me so many times now, I’ve lost confidence and just need to ride it again (beat my mind, don’t give up when I want to do so). I mean, I’m what’s the worst thing that could happen? I could get muddy? Oh no... The rest of the double-track to Valleyview was really good. I came down the final section actually pretty fast, with my new front rotor allowing me to control and modulate my speed with confidence I haven’t had on that section before, so that was awesome! Speaking of that rotor, I’ve been told that I didn’t break it in properly and probably created a “burned” spot on the rotor that is grabbier than the rest. I will lightly sand the pads and the rotor this weekend and break it in again to see if I can get rid of the pulsing/jerking motion for next week.

The section of trails through the Kenna Cartwright park went really well, I made it with no stops again for the second day so that’s awesome. Again, mentally I was dying for a break, but I was able to convince myself to shut up and keep riding, so that is great progress in my opinion! The trails were pretty soggy, but the forest was so quiet and serene really with the low hanging clouds. The only noise being my grunting and groaning, but the bike has worked great all week, even covered in mud, so the ride is great. On Monday I think I’ll try the Kinnikinnick trail all the way to see if I can do it or not. It looks pretty intimidating-ly steep (I know that’s not a word, but whatever) so I’m not sure if I can make it or not, and therefore I’ll leave it for Monday when I’m fresh and hopefully the trail is dried out a bit after the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment