Wednesday, May 26, 2010

May 25th (Afternoon) and May 26th (Morning)

May 25th (Afternoon)

·         Fluids Intake

o   Morning: 1 bottle of Gatorade, 1-1/2 bottle of water, 1 cup of coffee

o   Afternoon: 1-1/2 bottle of water

·         Food Intake

o   Morning: 2 pieces of multi-grain toast with butter and peanut butter, 1 banana

o   Afternoon: Pork chop with rice and peas

 

Today’s ride was pretty good, actually. Physically, I’m feeling really well lately. The bike is running well, although the front rotor definitely has an annoying “sticky” spot (that’s the best way to describe it) which means a very bumpy ride when trying to stop! I will be looking into this today to see if there’s something I can do to fix it. I think if I leave it, it might start doing damage to the fork (the constant jerk every revolution of the rotor I’m sure will significantly reduce the life of the fork tubes and stanchions! :)

 

Anyways, going down into Peterson’s Creek was pretty tough again with the trail as rough as it is now (see Friday’s notes). But, the new rotor works great, and I felt like I had more than enough control to go at whatever speed I wanted, so that is cool. Going back up, I made it up to the sandy section again (about 20-30 feet further than my normal distance, but not a record yet). I also made it further at my next stop and my final stop, so that’s encouraging. Once I got to the top of the ravine/canyon, I decided to keep going up and to see where the upper trails went. So, I followed the trail up instead of across Frolek’s land. And I followed it up... And up... And up some more! Wow, there was a lot of climbing, but really I felt pretty good. I got off at one point to climb over a fallen tree, and another to wipe sweat away (I wasn’t wearing my gloves this afternoon), but that’s it. The road at the top was pretty rough from the logging I think. It made it very difficult to try and spot trails heading off of it, as I had to concentrate so hard on all the little rocks, dips, loose sections and sticks/logs in the way. So, finally, at the end, just before coming into Rose Hill subdivision, I found a trail heading down so I took it. About half the way down, I came to a fork and took the left trail, but should’ve gone right! I ended up right at the bottom of the biggest hill on my Rose Hill pipeline section, the hill I never make... So, after all that extra climbing, I still got to go up this dumb hill! :) Oh well... The rest of the ride was good, through to Juniper with no extra surprises or new trails.

 

May 26th (Morning)

·         Fluids Intake

o   Evening Before: 1 bottle of Gatorade, 1 glass of milk, 1 can of Dr. Pepper

o   Morning Of: Nothing

·         Food Intake

o   Evening Before: 2 buns with farmer’s sausage, fried potatoes

o   Morning Of: Nothing

 

I again took the trails down from Juniper and they went really well. I made the second steep, and the down-and-up switchback (although my foot was out again). The first dip in the trail just about sent me for a loop, I must’ve been day dreaming or something... From Valleyview to Lansdowne I was in the big ring again the whole way, so this is good to see it so consistent now. I went early so I could catch the 7am bus, as I needed to be at work early, and it worked out really well. In fact, I may do this a lot from now on.

 

For the second day I took the trails through Kenna Cartwright again. I took the Reservoir trail all the way again up ‘till Doc Findlay. However, this time I turned off of Doc Findlay onto Red Fox tail (or something like that), which took me more direct to the power line trails, and I avoided 2 very steep, hard climbs! This route dropped about 1.5-2 minutes and about .8 less kilometres.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment