Wednesday, April 21, 2010

April 20th (Aft) and April 21st (Morning)

April 20th (Afternoon)

It was my dog obedience class today, so I had an ‘easy’ ride down paved streets to Pioneer Park downtown. I considered riding up above Peterson’s creek and then taking trails downtown, but Corrie and I decided it would be better for Duke to get to the class early and let him walk off some energy first. The ride was quick. For the most part it’s a really easy ride, with only a stretch on Notre Dame and then one down on Lorne St where I have to actually push a bit and work up a sweat. It’s about a 15minute ride, all in traffic. I have found that for the most part the traffic here is pretty decent with bikers. Most give decent space when passing and wait at intersections if I’m coming through. Sure, there are a few door knobs as well, but luckily it seems they are few and far between.

 

April 21st (Morning)

Well, I’m officially admitting it this morning. I am losing my motivation. I figured this would happen, it generally does with any type of consistent exercise that I try to get involved in. This is the exact reason why I sold my car. For sure right now if I still had my car, I’d be coming up with some very elaborate and well thought out excuses as to why I needed to drive. But, alas, I have forced myself into this, so now I just need to figure out how to get through this stage of my plan.

 

Was the ride bad this morning? No, it was average. Average times, average speeds. I didn’t feel amazing, but I didn’t feel bad. Just average. This could be due to a lack of motivation for sure. I didn’t push where I normally would, instead I just shifted down and spun faster. Monday morning was amazing! Monday afternoon was nasty!

 

What do people do when they hit motivational issues in something like this? I don’t feel I need verbal encouragement. Even physical encouragement isn’t going to do it (I mean, I see progress almost every day). Maybe a switch up of routes? But then again, I’m rather limited due to Peterson’s creek as far as what trails I actually do take home. I was originally planning on riding today from TRU, but I didn’t. I figured that it wasn’t a great idea while I was in this frame of mind, but I thought about it later and I’m wondering if that was exactly why I needed to take the TRU stop. Get a new route, obtain a new challenge and a new goal in my riding? So, tomorrow I will get off at the TRU stop. Hopefully my motivation-less mind doesn’t talk me out of it then too...

 

Anyways, this is nothing new really. This is the exact reason why so many things I start I tend to not finish (take a look in my side yard and see the ’91 Jetta sitting there). I lose motivation and I don’t know how to persevere through it. Today is Taryn’s soccer practice. The easy route would be paved streets all the way down. Granted, it’s still a hard ride in the end (Valleyview drive has a lot of ups and downs, even though they’re not of any great heights). Her practice is at 5:30, and the paved way would only take me 25 minutes. But the trails? Well, I really have so little motivation to hit the trails. Why? I really don’t know! If I do hit the trails, I was thinking maybe I would follow the road where I normally take a singletrack trail over to the “4 Hump Camel” section (hah!) at Rose Hill. If I followed the dirt road down, it would intersect with Rose Hill Road, and then I could take that down onto Valleyview Drive. Granted, I then get the worst of both worlds... The uphill at Peterson’s creek and the long up/down section that is Valleyview drive... But, it would be a short, new section of trail?

 

Well, enough moaning, I’m going to get to work finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment